Upper Key Stage 2
As children move through Key Stage they follow a similar approach to the Primary curriculum. They continue to securely develop their English and Mathematics skills in order to support their learning across the wider curriculum.
- Literacy is taught through a discrete session each day and children have more opportunities to apply their skills across the curriculum.
- Guided sessions provide access to a range of texts and give time to explore fiction and non fiction.
- Literacy is taught through well planned units that clearly identify the next step in reading and writing that the children and teacher will focus on for two or three weeks.
- Challenge in the mathematics curriculum continues to require greater mathematical thinking
- Children select from a range of approaches to calculations and use their skills in more complex problem solving activities.
- The rest of the subjects are covered using our consistent whole school thematic approach. The organisation of these is the same as in Lower Key Stage 2.